Letter to the public: Rochester Public Library reaffirms welcoming environment
The director at Rochester Public Library is reaffirming her staff’s commitment to being a welcoming space, as national turmoil and uncertainty causes uneasiness. The follow is a letter to the public written by Director Audrey Betcher.
Dear Rochester Public Library community,
During this difficult time in our country, Rochester Public Library would like to reaffirm our commitment to providing a welcoming environment to all. We embrace everyone and we will continue to provide our services to all without question or judgement.
Rochester Public Library serves community members of all races, abilities, gender identities, sexual orientations, nationalities, political affiliations, economic levels, etc. The Library is a safe space for community dialog, learning, and healing.
We increase awareness and understanding through programming such as Faith Talk Show, Post-Bulletin Dialogues, and Parents Empower Pride. These and other programs reflect our core values WE CARE.
- Welcoming Environment – We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place. This is reflected through creating policies and practices that ensure safety for the public and the staff, providing exceptional customer service, maintaining physical space, and providing an inclusive and non-judgmental place to gather or reflect.
- Committed to Intellectual Freedom – We are committed to intellectual freedom and the need for the library collection to represent many different points of view. Individuals are responsible for making their own choices regarding appropriateness of materials, and parents/guardians are responsible for the choices made for their children.
- Access for All – We are committed to providing basic library services at no charge. Some optional services may carry a fee. Access to library service and electronic information will not be denied because of inability to pay fees. We serve all users fairly and equitably.
- Remain Inclusive -- We honor diversity and are inclusive. We seek to represent all people in our collections, programs, services, workforce and other areas.
- Exceptional Library Service – We are committed to providing quality library service with a smile. We are committed to providing prompt, objective, confidential, and knowledgeable responses to requests for assistance.
I invite you to visit the library to discover new community connections.
Audrey S. Betcher
(Cover graphic: The Med City Beat)